Last week, I visited one of Asda’s tomato suppliers near Middlesbrough for a photo-shoot with Olive magazine. Asda supplier, Nigel, owner of Tees Valley Nursery and also chairman of the British Tomato Association, will be featured in the May issue of the magazine, showcasing his gorgeous Extra Special Tomkin tomatoes that are exclusive to Asda. Tomkins, are small, sweet tomatoes that have a distinctive shape – rather like a mini pumpkin, hence the name “tom-kin” and retail at Asda for £1.90 each.
Here are a few pictures from my visit and since I came away with a fair few Tomkins to take home, I also decided to have a go at making a version of these delicious tomato tartlets from the British Tomato Association recipe book I was also given. They were simply delicious! My version used just the Tomkin tomatoes, together with a dash of green pesto and cheddar cheese, plus a sprinkling of stilton for good measure. Then baked in the oven for 15 minutes for a delicious light lunch!
Thanks to Steve for the pictures, Nigel for the tomatoes and also for a great day up at the nursery. Not forgetting the British Tomato Grower’s Association for this recipe! Visit their website for some other tasty dishes..
15mlsp (1tbsp) Dried mixed herbs
225g (8oz) British vine-ripened cocktail tomatoes
12 British cherry tomatoes
5 Fresh figs
140g (5oz) Goat’s cheese, crumbled
3 x 15mlsp (3tbsp) Red pesto sauce
2 x 15mlsp (2tbsp) Runny honey
AND OFF YOU GO:
- Sprinkle the herbs over the pastry and then roll out thinly to a thickness of ½cm (¼”).
- Cut the pastry into 9cm (3½”) rounds. Arrange the pastry circles on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper and prick each circle at regular intervals with a fork.
- Chill the pastry for about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 220°C, 425°F, Gas Mark 8.
- Slice the cocktail tomatoes and figs and halve the cherry tomatoes. Spread a little pesto over each pastry circle. Arrange the sliced tomatoes and figs on top. Top each tart with two cherry tomato halves and crumbled goat’s cheese. Drizzle each tart with a little honey.
- Bake in the oven for 12-14 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes before serving.
NB: I was sent to the Tees Valley tomato nursery for work but was given the Tomkin tomatoes, and tomato recipe book as gifts. All other ingredients were purchased from my local supermarket.